Robert Louis Stevenson Junior High School opened on February 1, 1926. The first ¬student body consisted of 750 pupils. Forty teachers made up the faculty, under the leadership of Mr. James Hutt, the first principal. Mr. Hutt ¬remained the principal of our school for twenty-two and one-half years. Upon his retirement in 1947, Mr. Ben Wetzel served as principal for three years (1947-50). Mr. Kenyon Smith was principal for nine years (1950-55, 1956-60), and Dave Schwartz for one year (1955-56). Mr. Karl Lovejoy became the fifth principal of Stevenson in May of 1960 and remained for thirteen years. Mr. John Reilly was the principal for the next three years, followed by Mr. Gabriel Cortina from July 1976 to January 1978. In February 1978, Mrs. Gloria F. Cox was made the principal. She continued until June 1982. Mr. Jess Bojorquez began the 1982-83 school year as the ninth principal of Stevenson Junior High School and spent two years here. Mrs. Maria Tostado served as principal from June 1984 to June 1987. Then Mr. Edward R. Amarillas was appointed principal in July 1987 and retired in December 1993. Dr. David Almada filled the rest of the school year, serving as principal from January 1994 to June 1994. Mrs. Cecilia A. Quemada was appointed principal in July 1994, and was re-assigned to Roosevelt High School in September 2002. Ms. Teresa M. Hurtado became principal of Stevenson in October 2002. Since 2007 Mr. Leo Gonzalez currently serves as the Principal.
The student body now consists of approximately 2,000 students, and the faculty has grown to approximately 100 teachers. Above all, the friendliness, high ideals, and honored traditions which made Stevenson a school to be proud of still prevail today.
Our school was named for the famous writer, Robert Louis Stevenson, who is ¬especially noted for his stories and poems for children. The first student body of this school selected one of Mr. Stevenson’s most ¬popular books, Treasure Island, as the basis for establishing certain school traditions. The school was thought of as a sturdy pirate ship with the teachers as its under-officers and the principal as its captain. Each student was a member of the crew. “Forth and Forever Forward” became the motto of this crew whose purpose it was to move forward in search of the treasures knowledge and achievement.
In keeping with the Treasure Island idea, the school newspaper was called The Pirate; the yearbook was called The Treasure Chest; and the pirate colors red and black became our school colors.